Sunday, December 8, 2013

Donner Party, Table for....


Holy cow it is cold outside!!! Did you notice my new pic for the blog? Everything is still covered in glassy ice that looks beautiful in the same way that sharp glistening daggers look beautiful when hanging from every single tree that surrounds your home. I’m so over this cold weather nonsense. We haven’t had power in 72 hours and it was fun for a little bit…until my Kindle died. Now I have a mountain of laundry that is piled up in the laundry room, all the food I had stocked my fridge with is now bad, all of my Suave dry-shampoo is gone, and I think about making myself some hot coffee or tea every 4.2 seconds and I am then immediately disappointed because I rememeber Keurigs are not battery powered.  

The absolute worst part of all of this is not my day three of dirty hair (because we all know that dirty hair actually gets the most compliments) but my complete and utter inability to make good food choices! I know I made that last blog post at the beginning of day 1 of this ice storm mess about how I was going to turn over a new leaf, start fresh and make healthy choices. Well, it just didn’t happen. I wanted it to but I was at the mercy of the bipolar electricity. It would be off all day and then flicker for 20 minutes, stay on for a few hours and then off for another 24.  I even made that lovely Rosemary Pork Tenderloin and Paleo Cornbread Dressing but it never got cooked completely because the power cut off once again. So instead I’ve used the lack of power as my excuse to eat as much junk as this girl can stuff into her blue and frozen lips.

I actually wasn’t that bad and managed to eat kinda paleo for the most part but we ate out for every single meal so I’m sure I’ve not been perfect...in fact, I’m pretty sure that pumpkin cheesecake, cheesy crab dip and lobster nachos were not so much paleo. And I feel gross. And to make matters worse I use my grossness to justify another bad decision. “Ugh, I already feel like a fat blob of inflamed goo. I might as well eat this sourdough bread that was served with this amazing crab dip because I can’t feel any worse.”  I just don’t do the 80/20 thing well. I apparently go from 80/20 to 40/60 in less than three days flat. I just need to keep it paleo…no matter what.

But all of this winter barely survival has taught me a valuable lesson…I am so not ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. I’m serious. It’s gonna happen and I need to get a plan of how I am going to keep it paleo in the midst of no power and biochemical brain eating monsters. So I have spent these last few hours when I wasn’t watching my breath and making sure I can still wiggle my toes to devise my “How To Stay Paleo During the Zombie Apocalypse Plan.” Here’s what I’ve got so far…

1.     Learn how to make coffee over a fire. Actually as a precursor to number 1: buy some camping cooking gear.

2.     Start storing canned goods. Canned veggies suck!!!!!! But it isn’t like frozen veggies will stay frozen for long when the power goes out. Learned that the hard and expensive way.


3.     Start figuring out how to grow a garden. I try this every year. We spend lots of money on making it pretty, mixing the perfect soil/vermiculite/fertilizer ratio, adjust the water timers according to the temperatures and yet it never fails…we get maybe several tomatoes and peppers but nothing else ever looks very healthy and most of the time those giant disgusting worms enjoy our produce before we do.
My dear friend and neighbor told us about these hay bale gardens that seem really successful so maybe I’ll give that a shot…not too pretty but pretty doesn’t matter when you are hungry.

4.     Learn how to hunt Katniss Everdeen style. Somehow she manages to hunt and still look amazing. Plus a bow and arrow is much quieter than a gun so I won’t be alerting any zombies of my whereabouts. I actually am kinda excited about learning how to do archery. Is that how you say it…’do archery?’ Whatever. I think I will be good at it and I don’t know why but it seems nicer than a gun. Although this leads me to number 5.

5.     Get a gun. Guns will be necessary to keep those bad zombie survivors away. If they see a chick carrying a bow and quiver full of arrows (where do you buy a quiver???) they will just laugh because I’ll look more like a fae character than the feisty zombie killing warrior that I know I was fated to be. So I need a gun to pull out of my tall black leather boots and matching leather jacket…because I’m going to jump on any excuse to wear that kind of outfit. (I hear zombies have a hard time biting through leather.) Bad guys fear guns because they use guns to instill fear. So I’m going to get a gun or two or three. Maybe a rocket launcher too.

6.     Stockpile some jerky. I know we all think we will just hunt forever and get back to our caveman roots but have you ever considered that maybe this zombie virus could infect the animals too!!!! I had never thought of that before recently and it blew my mind! Cows seem all docile but can you imagine one that wants to eat your brains!!!!!! Plus, even if you survive a cow attacking you and you manage to kill it first, you still can’t eat it! It is infected meat! So jerky is pretty much my only solution. Well, maybe spam too but only in a last resort kinda way.

7.     Learn how to weld. This may seem like an odd occupation but in the apocalypse those that know how to weld a chainsaw, axe, and gutting knife together to make zombie weapons will be those with the most power. And I intend that person to be me. President Jess…Queen of ZombieLand…Destroyer of Brain Cravers…Princess of Paleo. ;)

8.     Move somewhere that is always warm. It just doesn’t seem so bad to consider fighting off zombies as long as I’m chilling on a beach. Plenty of fish, coconuts, bananas, and rum…right? I just can’t imagine pillaging for food in this nasty weather. It is hard enough to try to fix my hair in the dark well enough to be seen at Chili’s.

9.     Plan the quickest route to Costco and haul bootay. Costco has everything! Thick warm socks, big screen TVs, generators, food, food, and more food, medicine, Snuggies, even playground equipment! And it has those lifts that beep when they go backward and we could place them outside of the Costco and assign gunmen to be our lookout for zombies or rival gangs.

10. Align myself with the right people. I bet you’re wondering why I’m sharing my brilliant plan with you and I’ll tell you. First of all, you are my readers and I naturally think you must be awesome if you take the time to read my insane thoughts. Secondly, I know that a large percentage of my readers are also my closest friends and my friends are some of the coolest most ingenious and brilliant people I know and I want to keep all of you around as long a possible. And thirdly and most importantly…eventually we are going to have a Donner Party situation on our hands and I figure that since you read this paleo blog then you too most likely care about what goes into your body. And you know how they say, ‘you are what you eat eats’…well, if it comes to that I want the highest quality human available…and that is you.

So now that you are either totally grossed out or think that I’ve lost my ever loving mind, here is a sweet recipe for you.

Possibly The Worlds Best Ever Butternut Squash Soup-(This is a challenge, not a tooting of my own horn.)

Ingredients:

4 cups butternut squash, diced and roasted
1 cup coconut milk, full fat
2 Starkrimson pears, pealed and diced
1 small onion, diced
4 TBSP grass-fed butter
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ heaping tsp thyme
pinch of cayenne
salt and pepper to taste

Sautee onion and pears in butter until super soft. Add to food processor and puree. Add roasted butternut squash and coconut milk and blend until smooth. Pour into soup pan and add seasonings. Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Goes great with a cold chicken salad or sausage and sauerkraut.

No comments:

Post a Comment