Thursday, June 19, 2014

Where are MY pretty maids all in a row?



I posted awhile back about my little “Come What May Garden” and I wanted to give a bit of an update on how my garden grows. The first couple of weeks of gardening were fine. We received enough scattered showers to keep me from having to actually make the five yard trek from back door to garden to water it so I was cool. Easy peasy. Then it got hot and the rain bailed. But that was okay because cute little green plants started popping up all over the place and I’m not gonna lie, it was EXCITING. (That’s right, my life is that dull.) But due to the nature of our “Come What May Garden” and because we just pretty much scattered seeds at our whimsy, I had absolutely no idea if these adorable little green signs of life were actual plants or weeds. Which that was cool too because then I had an excuse to not pull them and therefore kept my responsibilities to the garden to a minimum of watering once a day.

But then last week happened and all of a sudden my sweet little garden looked like the jungle from Avatar. It was officially obvious what plants were weeds and which were actual produce. And let me tell you, the weeds were winning. By a lot. So it was time to be a responsible gardener and tend my garden.  I understand why Mary was quite contrary now. I found out real quick that weeding is dirty work. I had bought adorable gardening gloves already so I was definitely well dressed for the occasion but I was not at all prepared for the fact that it wasn’t just my hands that were going to be in the dirt, it was going to be my whole body. These weeds had the biggest stinkin roots so that I had to shake the snot out of them just to keep some of the dirt in the garden, but I’m pretty sure I ended up wearing the majority of it, including a couple earthworms. Which, by the way totally reminded me of when you throw pasta on the wall to make sure it is done from cooking and it just sticks there…worms do that too. Just so you know.

So while I’m pulling up these weeds I’m honestly expecting woodland creatures to come up and start helping me but they must have all been busy helping Cinderella get dressed or something so I was on my own. The lack of distracting woodland creatures led to drifting off toward the worry spiral that is always waiting to suck me in. I started to think about how I was having to put forth hours worth of work toward a garden that had yet to produce ANY edible food (worms excluded) which then led to how am I going to have time for this garden once our summer coma wears off and we are putting in 18 hours a day trying to get this new business started? And what about swim lessons? How am I supposed get that done when I’m needed at The Core? Or how are we to continue to eat healthy when I have absolutely zero time to spend on cooking? Jack and Addie need a fun summer too. They don’t want to be painting and pulling up carpet all summer long. And Jack needs a haircut. And so does the dog. I’m pretty sure I need to start taking more B-vitamins because my eye is twitching again. I need to write down B-Vitamins to the list I have yet to start along with the sunblock and that other thing I was supposed to remember. Can we even afford to get both Jack and Tysen’s hair cut? I mean starting a new business is scary and expensive and being on a budget SUCKS. What if no one shows up and we are floating this thing out of our income for months? Maybe I could learn how to cut hair. At least the dogs hair. And Jack can go back to his shaggy beach look.  I totally forgot to thaw any meat for dinner tonight…again. I’m kinda hungry now. But we are supposed to work out in an hour and I have to be at my best right? I have to represent an ideal. Meet Jessica, paleo and crossfitty. I am soooooo not a coach. This is crazy. What the heck am I doing? OMG this is really happening and there is no stopping it now. What if I fail?

(That was scary, right?)

Fortunately I have a God who listens and loves and delights in me. So you know what? I totally may fail. But I’m gonna give it my all and I’m gonna do it to glorify Him and to love on those He loves. I am so fortunate that my work doesn’t have to be about making money but about loving others through providing real ways to be healthy so that they too can do what God has called them to. So that all kinda makes me pretty stinking happy and super excited to have this opportunity at failure or incredible, impacting, life-changing success. And I’m going to start showing myself and others a bit more grace. We all have our worry spirals. If the dog’s hair doesn’t get cut then I’m okay with that. And if you order a pizza because you are too tired to cook or you would rather have that time to snuggle with your family, then I’m okay with that too. I think if we would let go of our ridiculous expectations for ourselves and for others we may all be able to do some pretty amazing things. So I’m gonna keep trucking on. Come what may.



I made just the loveliest little fritatta the other day and I was so surprised with just how easy it was. You could use any ingredients of your choosing but these are just what I had in my kitchen.

Ingredients:
4 eggs, beaten
1 lb free-range chicken sausage, ground
handful of fresh spinach
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage in skillet that can also go in the oven. Add spinach and cook down. Add salt and pepper. Pour beaten eggs in and sprinkle tomatoes and onions on top. Let cook for just one minute at a medium heat.

Set oven to broil and stick pan into oven and watch closely. Pull out when egg mixture is slightly browning.

Slice and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment