Sunday, August 16, 2015

Trading my Nanos for wedges

We are just two weeks shy of our one year anniversary of opening The Core and I cannot express how different life feels today compared to this time last year. Last year I was this little ball of nervous, exhausted stress.

We were spending 23 hours a day trying to finish out the home we now call The Core. We seriously would work until 4 in the morning, pass out on yoga mats for a couple of hours and get up and get ready to do it all over again. I was reading back through my prayer journals from last year and I had told God the day before we opened, "I don't think I love The Core anymore. I'm just too tired." (I was slightly emotional.)


The exhaustion didn't stop after opening day. It only got worse, honestly. Who knew running a gym could be so much work?? But in this last year we have learned so much. Just Levi, Jim and I figuring out how to work and make decisions together was difficult. (Let's face it...I usually won but sometimes it required pulling out all the stops and that was exhausting too!) We spent our days coaching classes and our evenings and often nights working on marketing, book-keeping, journal reviewing, replying to emails and messages, event planning, and constant studying.


But 130 plus members and almost 365 days later I can say that it has all been totally worth it and I think we've definitely found our groove. I've been able to step away from most of the coaching/business aspects of The Core and really focus on my main passion of health and nutrition. I've traded my Lulus and Nanos for dresses and wedges and you can find me more often in the Sunshine Shoppe than the gym.


Before The Core I was a very strong believer that everything could be fixed with the right kinds of food. I've watched my athletes change so incredibly much this past year simply by changing their diets and prioritizing their fitness. But now that their bodies are healthy and fueled properly I see that there are still areas that can be improved.


I would go as far as to say that I've been against using supplements. I practically outlawed preworkouts (I'm still not a fan) and protein mixes in the gym. I understand that sounds pretty stupid considering I own a health food store where half of it is covered in bottles of vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc. But over time I have come to the realization that we need more than just food. The more I talk to my customers and my Core members about their lives, their struggles, their health issues, I see that we all just have insane lives. We live under constant stress, physically, emotionally, and mentally. Yes, proper nutrition through food is the right place to start and there is no quick fix, no cure-all, but I think it is time to recognize that if we want more for and out of our bodies we have to add some supplements into our daily routine.


My next few posts are going to be covering some of the supplements I think are so super important to not just our physical health but also our mental and emotional health as well. I don't know about you but I don't want to just survive my crazy life. I want to jump right into the craziness and have fun and find joy in it. I want my energy levels to stay going strong, I want my moods to stay balanced (and so do my kids and husband). I want my body to utilize the healthy foods I feed it in the most efficient and effective way possible. I want my memory, focus, and overall cognitive function to go to the next level so that maybe I can understand my kids' MindCraft game. I want my muscles to recover quicker so that I'm not crying every time I sit down to potty. I want all the work I do in the gym to lead to a stronger body aaaaaaaaand I want a sixpack...just thought I'd throw that in there just in case blog wishes really do come true.


I really believe that if I was to do this past year all over again the only thing I would change would be that I would add rhodiola, turmeric, amino acids, digestive enzymes, and fish oil into my diet. I think my body would have handled the insanity of building and moving a business much better. Maybe there would have been less tears, coffee, and stress shopping. Stay tuned to find out why I think these 5 are so special!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment