Monday, February 18, 2013

Valentine's Indulgences

We are not big Valentine's Day fanatics at our house. I think all the hearts and pink and red are super cute and I love seeing all the cute facebook posts of everyone's special day but it just makes my life feel like too much and to be honest I kind of hate fighting the sugar temptations ALL DAY LONG. On top of that I know my kids are going to be CRAZY! But what can you do?
 
I thought I was being balanced by trying to keep Valentine's Day simple but still sweet. I had planned paleo blueberry muffins for breakfast and frozen yogurt after CrossFit. I was so proud of my plans that were still fun but not overloaded with sugar. I even made gluten-free snack mix for Jack's school party which was just stupid because all the kids ate were the cupcakes and cookies. My good intentions got out of hand fast...and to be honest kept going until Sunday. But we all survived the binge. The worst part is that we have all had some major sugar cravings in these last two days. After kissing the kids last night I walked through the kitchen and saw that Levi had made this huge bowl of Enjoy Life chocolate chips melted in Sunbutter with apple slices to dip. SOOOOOOO STINKIN GOOOOOOOOD! But it has to end. Unfortunately these cravings are strong and I know the next few days are going to be a fight. BLAH!!!!
 
To be honest I'm a little disappointed about our first paleo holiday. I really thought I could stay in control of this sugar thing and that most definitely did NOT happen. But there will always be more opportunities to practice celebrating with a healthy balance. I'm up for the challenge and I know it will get easier on all of us with each passing sugar-filled holiday...Right????
 
In preparation for this candy-heart holiday I ordered the recipe book, Paleo Indulgences by Tammy Credicot.
 
 
This book is not for the everyday. These recipes are for those special occasions where you want a treat but want to stay in control of your food choices. There are some mouth-watering recipes in this book. I am super excited about the cookies...Pecan Sandies, Some-More-Ahhhhs, and Skinny-Mint Cookies (like the Girl Scout cookies...heck yeah!)
 
I have made only one recipe from this cookbook and if the rest are as good as the Blueberry Crumb Muffins then this book is a winner! Levi has never been a blueberry muffin dude. But he has changed his tune all because of this recipe. He has already asked for them again and the other night he seriously talked about them for about 15 minutes. He makes me laugh.
 
Blueberry Crumb Muffins
Ingredients:
1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted (recipe says sifted but I didn't have the patience and it still turned out YUMMY)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup maple syrup (I used honey b/c that is all I had)
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup blueberries (I used frozen, after thawing them)
 
Topping Ingredients:
2 TBSP almond meal
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used pumpkin, walnut, sunflower, and almonds...basically every kind I had)
1 TBSP maple syrup (I used honey)
1 TBSP coconut oil
Pinch salt
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Whisk in a medium bowl coconut flour, sea salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, coconut milk and blend with a hand mixer. Slowly pour in the coconut oil and blend well.
 
Fold in blueberries.
 
Spray muffin liners with Kelapo coconut spray. Fill 3/4 full with batter.
 
Mix topping ingredients together and top each muffin with 1 tsp.
 
Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Store leftover for 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
 
I doubled this recipe and it made 16 muffins.
 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment