Thursday, January 24, 2013

I love soup!

 
I think it might be a girl thing to love soups? I've noticed not many men order a soup and side salad at lunch...not that I eat lunch with many men or any men aside from my husband who I don't even get to eat lunch with. Anyways....I made Addie and myself such a lovely soup today I just had to share. I made the Silky Gingered Soup from The Clothes Make the Girl blog by Melissa Joulwan. So far every recipe I have made from her blog has been fantastic. I've got her book, Well Fed, ordered and cannot wait for it to arrive!!!


I'm not going to retype the recipe since I pretty much did exactly how she instructed. But I learned one very important lesson in the process...


 
Don't overfill your food processor with hot soup. It will explode EVERYWHERE. I actually already knew that. I had read that warning in several recipes but I like to experince these lessons for myself apparently.

This soup is mainly zucchini, onions and ginger and therefore pretty inexpensive. I paired it with some sausage and it made a delightful little but very filling lunch.


(Isn't that little cup so cute? My mother-in-law made those for her in-laws when she was younger and after those sweet and very missed loved ones passed away our little family was fortunate to end up with them.)
 
 
I love anything that has ginger because I find that it has so many health benefits.
  • It is very effective in treating nausea. This soup would be great for breakfast in the morning for all you pregnant little mommas out there who are dealing with that yucky morning sickness.
  • It is an anti-inflammatory.
  • It is a natural treatment and preventative for the cold and flu viruses.
  • It is useful for menstrual cramps.
  • It is a natural heartburn remedy.
  • Some studies have shown it to slow down the growth of colorectal cancer cells and actually kill ovarian cancer cells.
I hope you try this soup out. Next time I plan to double the recipe and freeze what we don't eat...if there is any left.

1 comment: