Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Why Paleo

I know it may seem like I have jumped on the latest diet trend with the Paleo thing but I want to explain my reasons. First of all I don't do diet trends. I actually really despise diet trends because in one way or another they lack in actual nutrition. I'm not a part of weight loss challenge. I am not all Crossfitty...in fact, I'm not fitty at all. I have always considered myself and my family to be healthy. I mean we own a HEALTH FOOD store right? But despite our "healthy" diet of yogurt, whole grains, legumes, lots of cheese, lots fruit, some veggies, and some meats, we weren't exactly the ideal image of health. I had been getting lots of headaches, sometimes migraines and my tummy has always been crazy sensitive and most the time felt yuck, but I thought it was normal because I had lived with it for so long. Levi had somehow found a way to survive on Monster energy drinks, Starbucks, Dr. Pepper and one "healthy" dinner a day. Jack has always had tummy issues ever since he was a baby and had to have surgery on his colon. And Addie would wake up regularly sick to her tummy. I knew we were doing something wrong but I just didn't know what exactly.
 
To be perfectly honest I had an inkling it was related to wheat but I was not impressed with the ingredient labels on these wheat free/gluten free products. It seemed to me that we would be giving up wheat but replacing it with extra sodium, sugar, and ingredients that I couldn't pronounce. I started reading the book, It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig and all of a sudden I had this amazing epiphany that I'm sure you figured out already...We could just not eat those snacky wheat free/gluten free foods such as crackers, waffles, breads, etc. Well, that was simple.

One key idea from the book that struck me was the role that systemic inflammation plays in our health and the foods that cause it such as wheat, legumes, sugar, and fats high in Omega-6. Through all the research I do for my business regarding different health issues (allergies, IBS, arthritis, asthma, weight gain, cholesterol etc.) it seemed that they all linked back to this term systemic inflammation. So it makes sense that a diet lacking in these foods would be beneficial to our bodies. We decided to give this a shot for 30 days...a program Dallas and Melissa have called Whole30. We are halfway there and after we have completed all 30 days I will post about all the new super powers we have developed.
 
I will say that we are feeling good...really good. I have realized just how nutritionally poor our SAD (Standard American Diet) was and when your body is fed real foods (meat, veggies, fruit, good fats) it is able to actually absorb and utilize the nutrients in them. So yeah, I'm totally on board with this trendy nutrient rich Paleo thing.
 
Now onto the pictures of food.Mmmmmm. I am trying hard to remember to be a good blogger and take pictures of stuff that might be useful to this blog. Sorry for the very unprofessional pictures...eh, can't be good at everything.

Yesterday we snacked on organic apple slices and almond butter. Apples are numero uno on the Dirty Dozen list and should really really be organic. Brookshires usually keeps a good supply of organic Galas. I actually have a call in to our produce supplier to see about carrying some different varieties at the shop.
Also, a quick note about nut butters...they are really easy to overdo. I can seriously eat half a jar in one sitting. (I know, I'm a fatty deep down...I'll post more on that later too.) To keep myself from overindulging I spread a small amount on each slice and then put the almond butter back in the safe and lock securely. Not really but that is a thought. Aside from the extra calories, nut butters need to be eaten cautiously because they are very high in Omega 6. This is where I encourage you to stop by the Sunshine Shoppe and pick up a bottle of Omega 3 to correct the Omega 3 and Omega 6 ratio.


This is what the butcher at Whole Foods gave me when I requested a London broil. I mistakenly thought that a London broil is a specific cut but according to Wikipedia it is actually a "North American beef dish made by broiling or grilling marinated flank steak, then cutting it across the grain into thin strips. The origin of the name is obscure; ironically, the dish is unknown in the British city of London." You learn something new every day. And what is cool is you can get this same "cut" by special order at the Sunshine Shoppe or even Brookshires.

I was really hesitant about dinner last night. I had the meat finally thawed and it was time to make the Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Steak and Pasta by PaleoOMG. My hesitation came from the weird ingredients in the sauce. I like bell peppers. I like coconut milk. I really like almond butter. But would I, better yet my kids, like it all pureed together? But I gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised. In fact, this meal made it to the top of our list of our Paleo-friendly menu. But even if you aren't eating Paleo this recipe is worth adding to your meal rotation.

All the ingredients you see here can be found at the Sunshine Shoppe and Brookshires, with the exception of the Organic Roasted Red Peppers. Brookshires does carry jarred roasted red peppers but they are not organic. Unfortunately red bells are on the Dirty Dozen list and really should be organic but you do what you gotta do.
I didn't have enough zucchini or any squash so I had to improvise by settling with one little zuchinni, red onion sliced thin, and mushrooms. We loved this combination with the sauce and will probably do it next time too.
 
So lessons learned today:
1. Systemic Inflammation is BAD
2. A London broil is not a cut of meat but a way of cooking the meat.
3. Almond butter and roasted red peppers taste like heaven when pureed together.
4.  If you don't have every item on the ingredient list just wing it with what you've got.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment