Friday, January 18, 2013

It's All About the Guacamole

I am a bit of a grocery store snob. I soak up every second I get of roaming the aisles of Whole Foods. Everything is so pretty and clean. The carts roll smoothly, there are food samples everywhere, their employees are friendly, and most importantly I feel cool just being there. But this is an expensive and time consuming luxury that happens to be causing quite the dent in our wallets. So I am now making an effort to be budget conscience about our paleo menu.
One item on our grocery list every week is avocados. We buy and eat about 12 to 15 a week. Whole foods had avocados for 5 for $5. Ouch! But because avocados are relatively free of pesticides and not on the dirty dozen list we can buy these anywhere!
I had noticed in the Sav-a-lot ad they had avocados 5 for $1 this week. I am not going to lie, I really dislike this store but I couldn't pass up a good deal like this. I walked out with 15 avocados for $3!!! Of course I had to brag to Levi later that I made $12 today. I am really good at making money by shopping.
For those of you who are thinking, "why do they eat that many high in fat avocados?!?" here is a short incomplete list of avocado's goodness:
Avocado is rich in folate which prevents birth defects.
Avocados are good sources of potassium...great for muscle cramps and blood pressure issues.
Avocados contain polyphenols that are anti-inflammatory.
Avocados contain glutathione which is great for the immune system, kills those nasty free radicals, and is anti-aging.
The fat from avocados aids in the absorption of nutrients and keeps us from getting too scrawny.

So grab a few bucks and stock up on some healthy fatty goodness so you can "make" some money too.


1 comment:

  1. Just a little tip if you don't know already since this isn't a new post.... walmart will price match any item in an ad. So let's say Kroger has grapes on sale for 1 penny per pound, you just take your ad with you to walmart and when the checker is scanning the grapes, you tell her they are an ad, tell her how much per pound and sometimes they ask to see the ad. One trip shopping! Brookeshires does not do this but I would rather take a trip to walmart than to drag all the kids to all the different stores. By the way, LOVE this blog. I'm reading every single entry... lol

    ReplyDelete